The Museum's History...
The original U.S. Army Medical Museum was founded as a research
facility in Washington, D.C., in 1862. Today, the institution
is known as the National Museum of Health and Medicine of the
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology at Walter Reed Army Medical
Center. In 1920, our Museum was re-established at Carlisle Barracks,
Pennsylvania, with the Medical Field Service School. In 1946,
the School and Museum were transferred to Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
In 1955, the Museum received its designation as the U.S. Army
Medical Department Museum from the Surgeon General of the Army.
In 1978, the AMEDD Museum Foundation was established by concerned
individuals to raise funds for a new museum facility. Built with
private donations raised by the Foundation, the present AMEDD
Museum officially opened its doors in July, 1989, and ownership
was transferred to the U.S. Government. The building is in the
"Spanish Revival" architectural style, with a mission
tile roof and fountain courts, in keeping with the historic buildings
at Fort Sam. Large stone medallions representing the seals of
the six commissioned corps, enlisted corps, and civilian corps
decorate the facade.
The Museum Today... Since its dedication in 1989, the U.S. Army
Medical Department Museum has continued to enhance its reputation
as one of the most outstanding facilities of its kind in the world
as an ideal venue for the restoration, preservation and exhibition
of significant historic medical items. Military medical artifacts
and memorabilia are proudly displayed in an environment that blends
visualization of history with the appropriate presentation of
the Army's contributions to medicine during times of both war
and peace. It serves as a living reference library and research
facility for students of all ages who have an interest in military
medicine. It also augments the training of the more than 36,000
military and civilian students who attend the U.S. Army Academy
of Health Sciences at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, each year.
solely by the AMEDD Museum Foundation through private donations,
Phase I and II construction of Museum buildings were completed
in 1989 and 1998. Phase III construction was completed in Fall
2001, and houses of archival Artifact Repository. Recently acquired
artifacts contributed to the Museum through the Foundation are
a 1955 Willys MD-A, M170 Front Line Ambulance, an H13 D Model
(Korean War) helicopter, and a UH1 Huey from the early Vietnam
is free. Hours of operation are 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Tuesday-Saturday.
The Museum is closed Mondays and Federal holidays. For more information,
call 210-221-6358/6277 or FAX 210-221-6781.